Eyes are easy to be affected by bacteria, fungi or viruses, or to be injured, with exposure to a foreign body or chemical. There are hundreds types of diseases related with human eyes.
Eye treatment is the method that an ophthalmologist adopt to cure eye diseases in his office or an emergency department. Eye treatment can also be carried out at home by your own, for example, flushing the eye with great amounts of lukewarm tap water or commercially prepared eyewash solution under eye infection by chemical or eye injury. However, when a foreign body gets into the eye, you should not rob your eyes, and eye irrigation is usually not recommended. Eye treatment methods are usually different according to different types of eye disease. Following listed some medical eye treatment methods for common eye diseases.
Viral conjunctivitis and bacterial conjunctivitis are usually treated with antibiotic eye drops, when allergic conjunctivitis is normally treated with antihistamines.
The eye treatment for corneal abrasions and ulcerations includes antibiotic eye drops, eye ointment, and pain medication.
Chemical eye burns should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist besides an eye treatment of eye irrigation.
Scrubbing the eyelid edges with mild shampoo is the eye treatment method for curing blepharitis by removing excess oil.
The eye treatment method for styes or chalozions is usually conservative, by placing warm compresses for 15 to 20 minutes with cloth with hot water several times a day.
The eye treatment method for glaucoma is more complex. Treatment for severe glaucoma usually begins with several types of eye drops, such as a topical beta-blocker, a topical steroid drop, and a pupillary constricting eyedrop. Emergency surgery may be carried out for acute glaucoma.
Traumatic events to the eye should be managed by ophthalmologists and need immediate evaluation in the emergency department.
- Can too much caffeine cause puffy eyes?
- Why I can stare at the sun for long time but nothing happens and I still feel alright?
- what are the signs of eye cancer?
- Are sore eyes really contagious?
- What is the eye condition called Asteroid Hyalosis?
- Can rubbing my eyes cause black eye?
- Why do you have pain behind eyes when lying down ?
- Can sore eyes infect someone by just looking at an infected eye?
- Can rubbing eyes cause retinal detachment?
- How to stop burning eyes after swimming in a saltwater pool?