To protect against the sun on these hot July days, it becomes just as important to take care of your eyes as it does your skin. Sunglasses are more than just a very popular summertime fashion accessory, as they are necessary in shielding your eyes against the sun’s harmful rays.
Like sunscreen, sunglasses protect your eyes from harmful UVA and UVB radiation, which can cause damage over the long term. The level of sensitivity to UV rays varies with each person, and sensitivity can also be increased with certain types of mediation. Most pairs of sunglasses nowadays have 100 percent UV protection, even the cheap plastic kind. The different between those and higher priced designer pairs is in quality. A more expensive pair will have better quality lenses that do not distort the wearer’s view.
The most recommended type of sunglasses is ones with brown or amber lenses, which eliminates “blue light.” Blue light is highly visible light that causes macular degeneration, a break down of the important back part of the retinas which takes in light and translates that to the brain. Other options include sunglasses with polarized lenses, also called polarized sunglasses. Although they can be more expensive, polarized lenses filter out other reflected light from shiny surfaces, such as water or snow. The experts strongly recommend them for boaters or for driving long distances on hot days. Moreover, transition lenses, lenses that go darker based on the light, are very popular for budget reason. But the experts point out that they are not “true sunglasses,” as they do not go as dark as regular shades.
The experts also remind parents that eye protection is just as important for children as it is for adults. As it is difficult to keep sunglasses on a baby, however, he said a large brimmed hat will do the trick.
- What are the best polarized sunglasses?
- Is uv400 the same as polarized?
- Where to buy glass sunglasses?
- what are the parts of a sunglass?
- What does polarized on sunglasses mean?
- Is there a kind of sunglasses which can transform solor energy into electric energy?
- Can you tell me the difference between sunglasses for running and fishing?
- Why do blind people wear sunglasses?
- Do you know the hottest trends in eyewear for 2014?
- What are the best sunglasses for macular degeneration?