The technique of coating is used in the vast majority of glasses lens. Coating is a covering that is applied to the glasses lenses. The surface properties of glasses lens may be improved thanks to coating. Other advantages of glasses lenses also come from coatings, such as good appearance, adhesion, wear resistance and scratch resistance. In general, there are four types of coatings used in glasses lens.
Scratch-resistant coating treats the front and back of glasses lenses with hard coating and makes lenses more resistant to scratching. Currently, build-in scratch-resistant coatings are found in many types of plastic lenses, such as high-tech and polycarbonate. Glasses lens with this coating is relatively safer when dropped on the floor and cleaned with a paper towel. This kind of coating is suitable for kids glasses lens.
Over exposure to UV light may cause cataracts, retinal damage and other eye problems. So making your sunglasses protective from UV is critical. UV treatment on glasses lenses is the solution. You can simply apply UV treatment to most plastic glasses lenses. The UV treatment is invisible to the eyes.
Anti-reflective (AR) coating is capable of improving both the vision and appearance of glasses lens. AR coating can block both internal and external reflected light thus reduces the glare. This is a significant benefit of glasses lenses that provides a clear and complete view. Your eyes will look more natural with AR coating glasses lens.
The fourth type is mirror coating. Glasses lens with mirror coating are highly reflective. Many colors of mirror coating are available including blue, silver and gold. But these colors don’t interfere the vision that the wearer receives. Glasses lenses with mirror coating are usually for dressing.
- Are transition lenses worth the money?
- How to tell if your glasses are glass or plastic?
- Why is one of my glasses lens thicker than the other?
- Are lenses more expensive than frames?
- How to pop your lens back into your glasses?
- How to clean oil off my glasses lenses?
- Are anti-reflective lenses worth the price?
- What are the best lenses for kids glasse ?
- Are polarized lenses good for skiing?
- What are the best lenses for reading glasses ?